Emphasis is on establishing a healthy hand position and technique so the student will be prepared to pursue any genre of music, be it traditional Celtic, classical, or pop. Music theory is an integral part of studying harp and students are encouraged to learn to create their own arrangements. With very young children, Laurie teaches the Suzuki Method. An ultimate goal is to share music in performance, either in a casual gathering with family and friends or in a more formal recital or concert setting.
Ensemble playing is encouraged and students are expected to prepare both solo and ensemble material for performance in semi-annual recitals.
Spring 2009 Recital
Spring 2010 Recital
Even if you don’t live in Santa Barbara, you can still take lessons with Laurie on-line via Skype! Click here to find out how.
Beginners often choose to rent a harp for a few months before deciding what type of instrument to purchase. Please inquire about the availability of rental harps.
HARP WORKSHOPSLaurie is a popular harp workshop instructor whose classes have been well-attended at festivals and conferences around the country. Some of her appearances as guest teacher and performer:
• Conferences of the International Society of Folkharpers and Craftsmen - Olympia, WA and Galveston, TX
• The Seattle Folk Harp Symposium - Seattle, WA
• The Summer Solstice Festival of Folk Music - Calabasas, CA
• The Los Angeles Irish Fair - Los Angeles, CA
• The Fort Flagler Folk Harp Festival - Nordland, WA